Scholarship for Palestinian student at Fircroft College, Birmingham, UK
The Birmingham Ramallah winning Initiative (BRTI) is pleased to announce that the the inaugural Fircroft College Palestinian Scholarship will be available for the 2008-2009 session. Information about the College can be found at the College website . Click on the Access to HE icon for further information and download an application form.
Key factors about the course for 2008/9
The scholarship is for an Access to Higher Education course That means it’s a Level 3 college course which gives you the qualification you need to get into a British university (it’s not a university course itself)
• There is one course with a limited amount of choice within it: The main subject areas are Sociology, History and Literature All students do some Maths and Study Skills You might be able to do a Placement or a Project
• Altogether there are about 25 students on the course 2 students come from overseas The rest are from the UK and need a 2nd chance after missing part of their education for a range of reasons
• It’s a full-time course with a teaching timetable 9.30-4.30 Monday- Friday.
Ideally you will need the Access course to get into university, though this is not a requirement.
You must have sufficient education to cope with an Access course but not so much that you will get frustrated by it!
In particular you will need good English to get the most out of the course (at least IELTS level 5).
You will need sufficient funds for your Airfare and for holiday accommodation and travel.
Key factors about the scholarship
One scholarship is available paid for by the Croft Trust. This covers:
1. College boarding & lodgings charges for TERM TIME ONLY
2. College charges for tuitions fees for overseas students
3. Personal allowance for the year of around £1,085.00 ( which equates to around £30 per week including Christmas & Easter Holidays)
4. Small amount for additional short course training the students might require.
This does not cover:
1. Cost of accommodation during Christmas & Easter holidays
2. Costs of flights and travel to Fircroft College from airport.
To express your interest in the scholarship please email email@example.com as soon as possible.
Interviews will take place in late March, early April 2008 in Ramallah.
You will need:
1. Completed application form
2. Evidence of education achievement (copies of certificates) including competence in English (minimum IELTS level 5 or equivalent)
3. Confirmation in writing that you have sufficient funds for airfares and holiday accommodation
4. If they you are staying with someone in the UK during the holidays, then a letter of support
Palestinain Women's Delegation to visit Birmingham
A Palestinian Women's Delegation will be visiting the UK from the 6th to the 16th of March to give first hand accounts of life for women under the occupation. Three of the visitors will be in Birmingham on the 11th of March and will be speaking at a public meeting at the Council House from 7 pm.
The visit is coordinated by the Britain Palestine Twinning Network and the women visiting are from cities, towns and villages that have develped links with British cities, towns and villages and universities in the West Bank.